Canada’s longest-standing First Nations boil water advisory will end in 2018, Liberals say
Canada’s longest-standing First Nations boil water advisory will end in 2018, Liberals say.
The Liberal government says it will spend nearly $9 million to upgrade, renovate and improve the water plant in Neskantaga First Nation, a northern Ontario community that has been without safe tap water since 1995.
Indigenous Affairs and Northern Affairs provided the financial details of the plan on Thursday.
Neskantaga Chief Wayne Moonias said his community forced the government to take action on their plight by inviting Indigenous Affairs Minister Carolyn Bennett to their community last year and opening their homes to show her the impact Canada’s longest standing boil water advisory has on their daily lives.
"For more than 20 years we haven’t been able to drink water from our taps or bathe without getting rashes," Moonias said in a news release.
"Our members drove this process."
The project is expected to be completed by "late spring" 2018, according to Indigenous Affairs.
"We are one step closer to ending the water advisory, but there is much more work to be done," Moonias said.
It is a fly-in community, located approximately 450 kilometres north of Thunder Bay, Ont.
Nearly 40 other First Nations in northern Ontario are without safe drinking water.