Mold in bottled water for babies causes a recall and an FDA consumer alert
A recall of baby water that might have mold prompted the rare FDA consumer alert Monday evening.
After getting complaints of mold in the water.
Kroger tested the water and found Talaromyces penicillium.
It also warns that drinking water with that kind of mold can affect babies who have a damaged immune system.
Never miss a local story.
Sign up today for a free 30 day free trial of unlimited digital access.
“Allergic reactions to molds are common and can happen immediately after touching or inhaling mold spores, or later,” the alert warns.
Molds can irritate the eyes, skin, nose, throat, and lungs, even in people who aren’t allergic to them.” The water was sold in gallon jugs at Kroger, Kroger Marketplace, Food 4 Less, Jay C, Jay C Food Plus, Owen’s, Payless Super Market and Ruler stores mainly in the Midwest and South: Alabama, Arkansas, Georgia, Illinois, Indiana, Kentucky, Mississippi, Missouri, North Carolina, Ohio, South Carolina, Tennessee, Virginia and West Virginia.
Anyone with this water should return it for a refund.
David J. Neal: 305-376-3559, @DavidJNeal