Boil advisory issued parts of Fayette County
Originally posted on July 27, 2016
West Virginia American Water has issued a precautionary boil water advisory for U.S. 60 from Midland Trail High School to Lookout, Spyrock, Lookout, Winona and Edmond. The advisory follows a water main break, which drained area water storage tanks, causing low water pressure and water outages for some customers.
Crews have repaired the break, and water service is expected to be restored to all customers by 4 p.m. Customers will be notified of the advisory by the CodeRED emergency notification system.
Once service is restored, affected customers should boil their water before consumption until further notice. Boiling kills bacteria and other organisms that may be present in the water. Customers are asked to bring water used for drinking, cooking, bathing and brushing teeth to a full boil for a minimum of one minute, then cool before use.
West Virginia American Water also recommends the following steps:
· Throw away beverages and ice cubes if made with tap water;
· Keep boiled water in the refrigerator for drinking;
· Provide pets with boiled water after cooling;
· Do not use home filtering devices in place of boiling or using bottled water; most home water filters will not provide adequate protection from microorganisms;
· Use only boiled water to treat minor injuries.