Boil water advisory in Nickerson
originally posted on February 08, 2017
NICKERSON, Kan. (KAKE) — –The Kansas Department of Health and Environment has issued a boil water advisory for the public water supply in Nickerson.
KDHE officials say advisory was issued because of an electrical issue that caused a loss of pressure. Failure to maintain adequate pressure may result in a loss of chlorine residuals and bacterial contamination.
The advisory took effect Wednesday and will remain in effect until the KDHE deems conditions that place the system at risk of contamination are resolved.
The KDHE advises customers should observe the following precautions until further notice:
- Boil water for one minute prior to drinking or food preparation, or use bottled water.
- Dispose of ice cubes and do not use ice from a household automatic icemaker.
- Disinfect dishes and other food contact surfaces by immersion for at least one minute in clean tap water that contains one teaspoon of unscented household bleach per gallon of water.
- Water used for bathing does not generally need to be boiled. Supervision of children is necessary while bathing so that water is not ingested. Persons with cuts or severe rashes may wish to consult their physicians.
- If your tap water appears dirty, flush the water lines by letting the water run until it clears.