More boil water advisories issued for Moose Jaw

By Alexa Huffman, originally posted on October 12, 2016


Seven areas in Moose Jaw are under a boil water advisory after nine water main breaks were reported to the city.

On Tuesday, there were six water main breaks in the city. By Wednesday afternoon, that number climbed to nine water main breaks reported.

Repairs have been done on the breaks at 700 Caribou Street West, 300 Ross Street West, 3rd Avenue and Maple Street West, Lancing Street and Wellesley Street, the 1300 block of 2nd Avenue NW, the 1200 block of 1st Avenue NW and the 900 block of Grandview.

All areas where repairs were completed are under a boil water advisory.

The City of Moose Jaw said tap water is currently discoloured due to disruption in the water system caused by the repairs.

If residents’ water is discoloured but they are not under a boil water advisory, the city said it is safe to drink.

If the home is under a boil water advisory, the city said that residents should continue to boil water.

There are still water main breaks at the intersection of 3rd Avenue and High Street West and a second smaller break on 700 Caribou Street West.

On Tuesday, the city said all the breaks are on cast iron mains estimated to be 110 years old.

There have now been 66 water main breaks in Moose Jaw this year, compared to 49 in 2015 and 60 in 2014.

Earlier this year, the Moose Jaw city council approved a Local Improvement Program (LIP) funding model to pay for the replacement of cast iron water mains.

Under the LIP, the city would pay 70 per cent of the water main replacement cost, with homeowners picking up the remaining 30 per cent. They could either pay a lump sum or add it to their property tax for 20 years with a four per cent interest rate.

On Oct. 26, Moose Jaw residents will vote in a referendum to decide how the city will pay for the replacements.

Learn More