Programs bring relief to farmers, ranchers dealing with drought

Emergency Haying and Grazing of CRP Several counties in Nebraska are authorized for emergency haying or grazing on Conservation Reserve Program acres.
Counties in Montana, North Dakota and South Dakota in D2 or greater stages of drought on the U.S. Drought Monitor are able to use the program, and any county in Nebraska with a border that falls within 150 miles of those D2 or greater designated drought areas in those three states are eligible for the emergency haying or grazing.
A map of those counties can be found at
Haying of Roadside Right-of-Ways The Nebraska Department of Transportation authorizes permitted haying of roadside right-of-ways.
For details on haying roadside right-of-ways and to obtain permits contact the NDOT Maintenance Office in your district.
NDA Hay Hotline The Nebraska Department of Agriculture offers a resource for farmers and ranchers looking to buy or sell hay.
The Hay & Forage Hotline can be found on the NDA website.
This proclamation will allow the Nebraska Emergency Management Agency to replenish fire retardant materials which have been partially depleted by fire suppression efforts in Nebraska and by assisting other states with wildfires which have been aided by drought conditions.
The NDA Drought Central Website contains information on all these programs and will be continually updated with valuable resources.

Learn More